Configuring ejabberd for use as a game server only

I've set up an ejabberd server that I want to use as a game server only.

What things do I have to pay attention to regarding

  • I want to enable communication between local users only
  • no server-to-server communication
  • no communication to JIDs from other servers
  • modules such as "IRC transport" must be disabled (How do I do that?)
  • A game will consist of a room with a maximum of 8 players. How can I achieve that? I thought I could log all users in as "table1" and set their username as the resource, but I don't want the first user to be kicked when a ninth user joins ...
  • Will PubSub be suitable for the game server? I guess yes, because when user A sends something, I want it to be distributed to users B, C, D etc. and the information doesn't need to be stored on the server.
  • I hope someone can help me, and I'm sure this question and the answers will be helpful to others as well :) Thank you very much in advance!

    Comment viewing options

    Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

    Thank you! Doesn't removing

    Thank you!

    Doesn't removing "mod_irc" mean that ejabberd should use the defaults? This would mean I have to disable "mod_irc" somehow, e.g. with empty brackets. Is that correct?

    And for "s2s", I can only find the following two rules in my configuration file:

    {5269, ejabberd_s2s_in, [{shaper, s2s_shaper}, {max_stanza_size, 131072}]}.

    {access, s2s_shaper, [{fast, all}]}.

    Do I have to change anything or delete them?

    Yes, simply delete the lines

    Yes, simply delete the lines about mod_irc and s2s.

    mdok wrote: I want to enable

    mdok wrote:
  • I want to enable communication between local users only
  • no server-to-server communication
  • no communication to JIDs from other servers
  • Simple, in ejabberd.cfg remove the listener ejabberd_s2s

    mdok wrote:
  • modules such as "IRC transport" must be disabled (How do I do that?)
  • Simple, in ejabberd.cfg remove mod_irc

    mdok wrote:
  • A game will consist of a room with a maximum of 8 players. How can I achieve that? I thought I could log all users in as "table1" and set their username as the resource, but I don't want the first user to be kicked when a ninth user joins ...
  • Idea: if the game is controlled by a robot, then you can remove restrictions in ejabberd, and let your robot be a room owner: he can grant or revoke voice to room occupants by sending XMPP stanzas to ejabberd, see XEP-0045. That way your robot controls that there are only 8 occupants with voice as maximum.

    mdok wrote:
  • Will PubSub be suitable for the game server? I guess yes, because when user A sends something, I want it to be distributed to users B, C, D etc. and the information doesn't need to be stored on the server.
  • Yes, Pubsub and MUC would work for your task.

    Syndicate content