Post Install Script Error

Hello,

I have been trying to get the latest 15.07 release to install on a fully updated Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release. Each attempt has resulted in the same issue, complaints about the installation perhaps not completing successfully and the the post installation script not finishing.

The steps I've taken are very simple;
Download Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS ISO from Ubuntu website
Run through basic installation
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot
wget the 15.07 deb file or run file from website
su (run as root user)
dpgk -i filename.deb (or use the filename.run)

I've done this a handful of times now with the same exact results.

The installation complains about the post installation script. From what I can tell the ejabberd user is created. However permissions on the /opt/ejabberd directories shows a ID# for both user and group permissions instead of ejabberd. I read around and found in the github repo discussion on setting the right permissions for the {database,log,whatever} directories. I did that and tried running the post install script from the bin folder, but had the same results.

If I in LIVE mode it starts up and I can see clients registering with the server.

Installing this way is a lot different for me (usually just use apt-get, but that package in Ubuntu 14.04 is old). I'm not sure if folder paths have changed, but I noticed that the config file wasn't in the normal location, and actually it wasn't even on the server at all. This makes me think that the installation is not completing correctly.

I also tried to run it as user ejabberd, but it didn't help. The old difference using the ejabberd account was that using the installer file, when it prompts for installation location, it points I believe to /home instead of /opt when running as root. The .deb package doesn't prompt for this at all and appears to always end up in /opt.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Ok, I figured it out. I've

Ok, I figured it out. I've been using the old 2.1 build supplied through apt-get on Ubuntu. Looks like the configuration files and folders are all now in /opt/ejabberd and it moved from erlang config file to YAML. Once I figured that out I was able to get it running.

The post installation script still does not work however. The folders end up with user:group permissions being set to a uid # (I think it was 1003 on mine) instead of ejabberd user/group. The chown command seems to not work in the script for whatever reason. I just ran the commands on my own from the command line as root instead.

I had the same issue here on

I had the same issue here on a fresh install on Debian 8. The uid was 1003. After you presumably ran:

sudo chown -R ejabberd:ejabberd /opt/ejabberd-15.07

What did you do to complete the install?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Syndicate content