Ignore hostname when client connects?

I'm a total noob so I'm sure I'm wording this wrong...
I'm trying to be lazy and set up ejabberd in a way that allows me to just connect using user@*connection-path* where the connection-path could be via multiple public domains and it will automatically route the user to a global jabber hostname like "user@bobsjabber" instead of connecting via user@hostname and having to enter the connection-path separately.

Openfire does this by default. Since it was my first xmpp deployment, I didn't know it was exotic. I'm moving over to ejabberd because Openfire/Java is eating up too much resources.

If this is a common question, could you give me the google search string you would recommend? I swear I thought of everything I could to find it. haha I don't know XMPP lingo most likely.

I haven't read such a feature

I haven't read such a feature before.

The closest thing I can think is ejabberd clustering with domain balancing, but that is focused in supporting many concurrent users by distributing them over several nodes that all use the same jabber domain. The result is that user1 enters in his Jabber client the JID "user1@monkey.com", and the server DNS balancer redirects the client to the ejabberd node running at the machine node2.monkey.com, because that only has 50.000 concurrent users, instead of node1.monkey.com which has 70.000 concurrent users. That isn't what you are asking...

Syndicate content