A couple of questions (certs and vcards)

For the certs
Does the cert have to be a single PEM file?
Is it possible to define specific cert, key and certchain files?

And for vcards,
I have a few questions here,
- If I'm preregistering users, can I set vcard information especially things like Nicknames so they never see the full jid locally?
- Additionally, is there any way to set default values for vcards, or even default derived values, like nickname gets set to the username portion of the jid?

Trel wrote: For the

Trel wrote:

For the certs
Does the cert have to be a single PEM file?
Is it possible to define specific cert, key and certchain files?

Looking at the documentations, it seems there isn't options to configure that so fine-grained, only the file is configurable.

Trel wrote:

And for vcards,
I have a few questions here,
- If I'm preregistering users, can I set vcard information especially things like Nicknames so they never see the full jid locally?

In Jabber, it's the jid what defines the account. There may be clients that implement some eye-candy for the user, so they can see their contacts only as nicknames. But in the internals, it's the JID what defines the account.

Trel wrote:

- Additionally, is there any way to set default values for vcards, or even default derived values, like nickname gets set to the username portion of the jid?

No configurable. Of course, you can modify the source code and force default values instead of empty strings. That would allow you to implement "derived values", as you are adding programming code.

Darn, that's unfortunate. I

Darn, that's unfortunate.
I was looking to self host something for friends/family to use for chatting.

But if they're going to see Name@Domain/39349839483940583094580 or similar, I 100% guarantee they simply won't use it. I know some clients will use Nicknames (or Firstname Lastname) for the primary display in the roster and use the JID behind the scenes when needed.

Ultimately I'm starting to think that maybe XMPP is a lost cause for any sort of user friendly chat option. It's easy enough to set up server side, but it absolutely falls flat on its face when I get to the user end, especially for the layperson.

It was difficult enough to convince them that 'name@domainthatsnottheirs' is not an email but just a login name they need, but testing with a family member who was willing to be patient, did not go over well when I told them that well they (and anyone they want to talk to) have to go in and manually set details such as nicknames, and then also set a local alias ("what's a local alias", etc) or it would show a long string of characters. Their conclusion at the end was that they'd just use Skype or similar.

(Not going off on you, just incredibly frustrated with the lack of end-user aesthetics for this entire protocol/stack)

Syndicate content