Ejabberd Migration Process

Hi Guys,

We are currently running our chat server on Ejabberd and very happy with it, but not happy with the cloud service. We are planing to change our cloud provider and hence need to migrate our Ejabberd server along with all the data.

We are currently running Ejabberd in a non cluster mode, and using MySQL as the database. The domain name would still be the same.

Steps that i have thought so far for migration
1) Take MySQL dump and export it into the new MySQL server.
2) Install Ejabberd on new server and point it to the new MySQL server.
3) Update DNS records to point to new Ejabberd Server

Will these steps suffice for the migration ? Do i need to migrate the mnesia DB too ? Looking for pointers.

Thanks,
Mithun

> Do i need to migrate the

> Do i need to migrate the mnesia DB too ?

Chances are not necessary at all; maybe mnesia simply starts in the new one. If it doesn't start because the erlang node name changed, then you can set the NODENAME option in ejabberdctl.cfg in the new server: set as value the name that was in the old one.

For all this, it is good that you do steps 1 and 2, and try the new server yourself before doing the definitive step 3. That way you aren't pressured to fix things, and can investigate carefully.

Thanks Badlop. Will try it

Thanks Badlop. Will try it out and let you know how it goes.

Also, i forgot to mention that we have an HAProxy fronting the current system. So before doing step 3, i plan to make the old HAProxy point to the new HAProxy and verify everything works fine or not.

Syndicate content