Thousands of virtual hosts on a one ejabberd installation. Is it possible / practical?

Hi,

1. Is it possible to have thousands of virtual hosts on a one ejabberd installation? Do we have some limitations here?
2. Is it possible to add/remove virtual hosts without restarting ejabberd?

Our clients are small companies and we are developing a chat/presence server (based on ejabberd) for them. They will access our ejabberd servers using XMPP clients developed by us (and 3rd party XMPP clients in the future). User name and domain name parts in their JIDs will be UIDs (something like

f0692db0-2c39-4cfa-b022-c1fece47091e@15aab698-c823-4646-aac1-e14e71537330

). We store some metadata for each user and we know to which organization the user belongs to.

3. Which variant is better: one domain for all the users from all the organizations or separate domain for each organization?

Thank you,
Grigory

1. There isn't any specific

1. There isn't any specific limit, just ejabberd's efficiency, and your machine's capacity. So, you can keep adding vhosts until the machine is too slow.

2. Not possible, a restart is required.

3. One vhost with many users probably is a little more efficient than many vhosts with few users, because ejabberd is designed to support thousands of users, not thousands of vhosts. But the most important reason in your case is point 2 (adding vhosts requires a restart).

2. Not possible, a restart is

2. Not possible, a restart is required.

Even if I replace ejabberd_config:get_myhosts() with my own implementation?

If it were so easy, it would

If it were so easy, it would be already implemented ;)

From the Ejabberd 17.03

From the Ejabberd 17.03 changelog:
- dynamic configuration reload. Thanks to this improvement, it’s now possible to add and remove virtual hosts via configuration reload.
Am I right that I won't need to restart ejabberd after adding/removing virtual hosts in Ejabberd 17.03?

Yes, I also think that

Yes, I also think that feature is what we think. I tried it and the new vhosts are shown to the WebAdmin, but I cannot login to the new vhosts until a restart. So it's the feature, but isn't yet fully working.

Syndicate content